- Herod was distressed when he heard the news of the Messiah’s birth? Why? This sounds like a good topic for an essay.
- All of Jerusalem was disturbed too (v 3). Why, I wonder.
- In verse 11, Matthew mentions that the wise men saw Jesus with his mother, Mary but Joseph is not mentioned. Interesting.
- Matthew quotes a lot of OT prophecies.
- It seems the angel always appeared to Joseph in dreams, not in his waking hours. Good thing he didn’t pass off the dreams as just dreams.
- Joseph was scared of Archelaus, Herod’s son.