- The angel of the LORD is once again referred to as God (v 2, 4 and elsewhere)
- God was concerned about the suffering of his people (v 7).
- God knew that Pharaoh would not let the Israelites go unless a mighty hand compelled him (v 19). This is one verse in the Bible that attributes both foreknowledge and middle knowledge to God. i.e. He knew Pharaoh would not let the Israelites leave if he did not perform those miracles (middle knowledge) and he knew Pharaoh would let the Israelites leave if he performed those miracles (fore knowledge).
- This also suggests that human beings have some elements of free will. i.e Pharaoh would have refused to let the Israelites go if God had not performed the miracles despite the fact that God wanted him to.
- God intended to provide for the Israelites when they were leaving – by taking from the Egyptians (v 21, 22).