- The disciples were a very confused bunch of people during Jesus’ last talk with them (16: 17, 18). They did not understand what he meant when he said they would soon not see him and then later they would see him. They did not understand what he meant when he said that he was going to the father. Those are things whose meaning seem very clear to me. I doubt that it is simply hindsight.
- Jesus promised his disciples that someday he would speak to them plainly about his father and not in figures of speech (16:25). Why did he not just speak plainly then?
- Jesus said the Father loved his disciples because they had loved him and believed him (16: 27). What kind of love did the father have for them that he did not have for those who had not loved and believed Jesus?
- Jesus emphasized the fact that the Holy Spirit would not speak on his own, but would speak what he had heard (16: 13). Just like he said that he himself only spoke what the father told him to.
- Jesus wanted the disciples to have peace in him, but told them that they would have trouble in the world.