This morning I saw an article titled “10 Things Women Want in a Man”. I thought, “Please tell me what they want so I know what not to want”. Still, as the day progressed, I began to think of what I want in a husband.
First, the basics:
- Is a Christian. I don’t mean that he must claim to be a Christian. I mean that he must pass my test for a redeemed Christian.
- Has God as the most important thing in his life.
- Has a proven ability to hold a good job. He needs to do well enough that I can stop working to care for the kids.
- Has good basic morals – doesn’t cheat, steal, engage in premarital sex, get drunk, etc.
- Doesn’t lie. This is very important. I think of lying what I think of gambling while drunk with two naked prostitutes beside you and a wife at home.
- Is diplomatic
- Understands the importance of gentleness and practices it.
- Has solid reasons for being a Christian not just “I feel that God exists”.
- A well reasoned stand on social and economic issues.
- Has read the Bible through at least once or is in the process of doing so.
- Loves God more than anything else. (There’s wiggle room around this one. I understand that not everyone can be perfect.)
- Is intelligent, so that I can respect him.
- Is actively involved in spreading the Gospel
- Isn’t West African
Other preferable qualifications:
- Can cook
- Can sing
- Frequently cleans up after himself.
- Wants lots and lots of kids.
- Likes to play pretend
- Will buy me a teddy bear
- Comes from an intact biological family.
I’m sure I can think of more characteristics in time.