- Israel did not drive the Canaanites out of the land like they were supposed to. They let them stay.
- As a result God refuses to drive out the Canaanites and punishes the people by letting the Canaanites ensnare them.
- Eventually, when all the people who had seen God’s miracles were dead, their children began to worship other gods.
- So, God let the Canaanites oppress them. A deal is a deal, after all. “Whenever Israel went out to fight, the hand of the Lord was against them to defeat them, just as he had sworn to them. They were in great distress.” (2:15)
- God is kind, so he sent Judges to lead the people back to him. By those judges, he defeated his people’s oppressors. The people stayed on the right path until the Judge died, and then returned to their evil ways.