- The Israelites were unfaithful to God again so he let Midian oppress them. The Midianites were brutal. Every harvest they would come in swarms and take all the crops and livestock of the Israelites. It was so bad that the Israelites built shelters for themselves in mountain clefts and caves.
- The people cried out to God and he sent a prophet to tell them why he was punishing them. Then he sent an angel to tell Gideon to attack the Israelites
- Gideon wasn’t a very brave man. He was hiding from the midianites when the angel found him. He did not think he was strong enough to defeat the Midianites. He asked for several signs that God would really be with him and was granted them.
- The first thing he was asked to do was tear down his father’s alter to Baal, erect a new altar to God and make a sacrifice to God on it. He was scared, so he did it at night.
- In the morning, the people wanted to kill him for what he had done but his father convinced them to let Baal fight for himself.